Saturday, June 21, 2008

The last month

I just realized that people were still visiting my blog... I wonder, do you want me to keep writing? Because I can and I really don't mind. I have some spare time - maybe a bit too much spare time.

So since I last blogged here I found myself a job and I started working (on contract) full-time for some relatively large country-wide company. This week was my first week and I have to say I've been pretty impressed and happy with what I've seen of the company so far. I'm working in a small team and everyone seems pretty cool.

Other than that, before I found the job when I wasn't job searching I spent a lot of time walking around the city taking random pictures. It's strange, for some reason I find it harder to take people's pictures here. Is it that there aren't enough people? Is it that it's different because I'm not obviously a tourist? I feel like my camera is the first thing people notice when I'm walking around here - I really haven't felt that way anywhere else. I usually walk with my camera in one hand, the strap wrapped around my wrist so that if I accidentally drop it, it won't actually fall. I had someone stop me a couple of weeks ago to ask me to take a picture for them (on my camera) which I then e-mailed to them. He stopped me again because he saw noticed that I had a camera (in fact I think he noticed my camera before anything else). I have another strange theory about taking pictures - maybe if I dress weird, people won't notice the camera first but rather the way I'm dressed. That's what I'm going to try next time I go out to take pictures... Also, I've been playing with Photoshop a lot more now. I've been pretty impressed with what I've been able to do with a few of my pictures. Anyway here are a few of my more recent pictures:

The Newmindspace Pillow Fight: Every year Newmindspace has a pillow fight at Nathan Phillips square every year. I got a few pillows thrown at me and got covered in feathers. My allergies were pretty bad after...






Random city pictures:








some bollywood dancing lesson I took at dundas square - this was terribly fun and hilarious. I went by myself (which was a good thing given that I am completely uncoordinated) - I tried it, I laughed pretty hard the whole time




More random city pictures




caught in the storm



And finally... I've been reading a lot about street photography lately and I found this pretty interesting set of pictures on Flickr that are taken in what is called a 'no flash corner'. Essentially, it's natural light reflecting off of some surface creating very interesting lighting on people. I went hunting for a 'no flash corner' in Toronto. It wasn't hard... the only problem was that the people in the area were for the most part kind of boring and it was kind of intimidating taking people's pictures:


No comments: