Wednesday, September 17, 2008

more pictures

I haven't taken all that many pictures recently. (Well, at least not for me). It's been a slow week - I'm pretty busy right now. I just started my Japanese class and have been pretty much focusing on learning to read for the last couple of weeks. It's coming along. Every day I'm finding myself recognizing more and more characters so I do feel like I'm making some progress. I've been spending my lunch hours at work trying to write and memorize as much as I can. I've been also doing quite a bit of studying on my own to get the most out of this course as I can. We'll see how much it helps.

I just realized that I never talked about the photography event I went to in August. I signed up for what was the first "Worldwide Photo Walk". 50 people in cities across the world (over 7500 participants) got together on August 23rd to take pictures as a group. I started getting a little concerned as other photographers started signing up for it in the city because, well, they're much better than me at this whole photography thing. I got to the meet-up and was immediately surrounded by people who had much more expensive cameras than me and though I was a little intimidated at first I got over it pretty quickly and took a few okay pictures. We did our walk in the distillery district which I found to be a little boring for this type of thing. Here are a few of my favourites from the 2 hours we had to take our pictures:
love

I'm not sure why I liked this one... I wish she had her eyes open, but what can you do.
feathers

I caught a street festival a couple of weekends ago and got some okay pictures there:
caught in a crowd

the juggler

dance



sax

I guess that pretty much sums things up... Seems like most of what I've been doing is either focusing on work, photography or learning Japanese. I guess it could be worse.

I've had a few pictures posted on various websites. I'm trying to keep track of all of them (my pictures have been posted 4 times recently I believe. It's hard to know for sure...) Maybe I'll post the links here? Ryan says I should be saving the links somewhere for future reference (I have a feeling he sees me having a future in this or something?)

I also just noticed that everything I just posted is in black & white (or completely unsaturated in the case of the first one). Strange. I usually enjoy my pictures in colour (this is what draws me to photography - colour and light) but all of my street festival ones were post-processed in black and white. I feel like I should balance it out... so here are a couple of pictures I took on an evening out with my co-workers at the CNE (Ex):
CNE 2008

CNE 2008

Co-workers:
CNE 2008

I haven't said much of anything here. I don't have much news. I may post something a little more interesting (and that doesn't consist of pictures) later in the week. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice pics, especially the ride pics from the CNE at night. Those are usually really good, when they work.... mine rarely work.
Most years I take pictures of the big swing ride and the ferris wheel. and anything with lights that get blurry when it moves fast :)