Saturday, February 14, 2009

Chicago!

I just woke up and looked out the window. I'm IN CHICAGO!

After a very stressful trip to the airport last night, it's nice to be here. I have learnt my lesson: taking the subway to the airport on a Friday night to catch an international flight is probably not the best idea. The subway was down - we got stuck at Ossington station in a bus that wouldn't let us off (people are so strange - if you are at the front of the bus and people at the back are asking the driver to let them out, maybe you could just relay the message instead of just staring at the people at the back blankly.) Argh... and then the finding a taxi in that mess was more than annoying...

Anyway, who cares - we're here.

Last night we got to the hotel around 10:30ish and decided that we should go out for a late night snack and some beer. We shared an "individual" sized deep dish pizza - it was actually not as bad as I remember it. Much less cheezy and heavy - definitely still heavy but not like the one we had last time we were here. The waitress seemed as old as the pizza place we went to... but she was really sweet and brought us some ice cream (on the house) thinking we were newly-weds (ha... yeah, not so much.)

Just walking around last night reminded me why I liked this city so much last time I was here. The architecture is amazing. I continue to be baffled at how each building has so much style - it's actually pretty amazing. I don't really know how to put it into words... I hope to get some pictures today...

Oh and the best part! We got to our hotel to find that we'd been put in a room with two double beds. I like my own space but two double beds is kind of awkward... So we went back downstairs and asked if they had a room with a king size bed (I love king sized beds - I wish I had room for one at home... I would never leave it. It's like the best of both worlds - you can share a bed but also have enough room to spread-eagle without touching the other person!) Anyway, they happened to have one on the same floor as we were on (22nd floor!) so we took it, walked into our room to see that the view had completely changed and that we were now overlooking the river, lake and navy pier! (The view in our first room kind of sucked.) Pretty awesome.

So on the menu for today - start with a trip to Chinatown for some dim sum or lunch then off to the photography museum. If the sun stays out we'll head to the John Hancock building for sunset and drinks and then... who knows? Maybe a jazz bar?

No comments: