Monday, May 04, 2009

high park from a new angle

I used to train in high park - it was a 5 minute ride from my place. I'd grab my bike, run out the door and ride laps of intervals, racing cars, infuriating cars, trying to beat my best time, trying to keep up with the roadies, getting annoyed at cars that were going twice the speed limit and slowly gaining on me (the smoothest part of that road was where all the right car tires would tread repeatedly... the bike lane was by far the worst.) Going up and down the same hill over and over, knowing its exact distance, my best time, and exactly what it would take to beat it.

I spent a good two summers in that park - riding at least 3 days a week... and I have to say that for once this weekend I saw it in a very different light. I hadn't been there in over two years. It was busy, full of people enjoying the fresh air and the beauty of the park. I don't remember ever seeing so many people out just to enjoy the park. It always felt like people were there with a purpose. Maybe it's just that I was there with a purpose and so I felt others should too...

blossoms

ice cream

adult and child

blossoms

still

I've finally had an idea for a project I want to work on. It's completely different than anything else I've ever done and maybe a little abstract. I think I'll work on it for a bit and if I ever finish it I may post it here...

No comments: