Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chiang Mai - Songkran Festival Pictures

A few pictures from Chiang Mai's Songkran festival:

He was lucky it was just a small glass and not a big bucket of freezing water:


This game is totally awesome... think volleyball meets football (err... soccer) - the rules seemed pretty straight forward: no hands allowed. They kept doing some really crazy spinning jumps that were kind of like spikes:


I kept seeing these fly overhead... I convinced Ryan that we should go find where they were coming from:


Our elephant ride...

Unfortunately being on top of the elephant means we didn't get a picture of ourselves riding it. Our elephant was good and ensured that we were constantly kept cool by covering us in muccus every thirty seconds. Also, she got a little tired of having flies bite her head so she ripped a branch off a tree and just let it rest on her head for a few minutes. We thought she was going to try to swat us with it but no, she was all good.

This is after the river rafting... We were soaked... not because we fell in but rather because the river was so full of people splashing us (as part of Songkran) -we really couldn't avoid it... Also, our river guide thought it would be funny to tip our raft over. The water was warm so it didn't bother me too much... The rafting wouldn't have been half as fun had it not been songkran. It was nice to interact with the locals from our boat (and have all the kids screaming hello at us).


I'm getting fed up with the hair right now and I'm thinking that I'm going to have to do something about it... There are a couple of options - one of which would be fun but would require me shaving all of my hair off when I get home so that I can hopefully find a new job (eek... i don't want to say what I'm thinking because I know a few people told me not to come home looking like this), the other one is much more conservative and would probably solve all of my hair woes (good old short hair)... We'll see what I decide when I get to Ko Phangan.

That's it for now... more pictures to come soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are voting for short and sweet. A shaved head might be a little drastic unless you also plan to wear saffron robes.

Anonymous said...

We are not anonymous. We are The Builders. Sorry. We are having a little trouble navigating through the comment form. You will have to explain the "word verification" step and why they make the letters look like I write when I have had too much to drink.