Tuesday, April 01, 2008

intense

The last 24 hours have been pretty intense.

I flew to Phuket yesterday and found myself in the roughest shape yet. I kept denying how sick I was... who was I kidding? I was sick! It didn't occur to me until some point when I was walking through Phuket town (it was at the peak of the heat - about 2pm). I felt faint, I thought it was just the heat... I drank a Sprite (just in case my sugar was low or something?) then a full bottle of water... It didn't help at all. I got back to the hotel, laid down and woke up and it was 6pm.

By then all the tourist offices were closed so I wasn't quite sure I'd be able to make it to Railay today or not... I felt pretty crappy when I woke up too. I didn't like Phuket town at all. I don't know why... maybe it was just that I was sick... Or maybe it was that I was all by myself in a town that wasn't really a tourist town... I actually got shewed away from a place yesterday when I was about to walk in (kind of like "you're not welcome here") I think I was very far off the beaten track when this happened (everyone kept looking at me kind of like I'd taken a wrong turn somewhere but I hadn't... I knew where I was going...) Anyway... Phuket town was kind of interesting in terms of architecture... a lot of very colonial looking buildings which was confusing - it reminded me of some Mexican towns (kind of like Valladolid) but full of Thai people of course.

I ended up calling it an early night - I ate, read and watched a little tv and then fell asleep. I had to wake up really early in order to figure out how to get out of Phuket town first thing in the morning. I woke up... I felt horrible... and then realized it was only midnight... Next thing I knew I woke up again and it was 6:30 and I felt fine. So I guess the sleeping / taking it easy may have helped? I had to make the first ferry out if I wanted to make it to Railay so I needed to be on top of things...

Anyway... with all my bags (my big backpack, my small backpack and my purse... all bursting!) I got on a motorcycle cab (awesome! haha... I'm surprised I didn't lose a bag!) and went to the ferries... the next 8 hours were just painful... ferries... waiting for ferries in Ko Phi Phi (it's nice there but just tourists... blah)... And then finally to Krabi. Krabi was hilarious... I was sent on a wildgoose chase to get to Railay... RIDICULOUS. At one point I had to stop myself from laughing... as I was surrounded (in a saengthaw or however it's spelled) by 10 locals... 3 of which were school girls, 4 of which were ladyboys, 1 woman and 2 old men. One of the ladyboys ended up talking to me and was really nice. I then had to jump onto a longboat for the final 15 minutes of my journey.

I FINALLY MADE IT TO RAILAY!!! And caught the magnificent sunset. It almost made today's 8+ hour journey worthwhile... almost... the clouds rolled in just as the sun was almost set so it didn't quite have the full effect... but it was pretty close.

I just had dinner. It was really good... and by really good I mean I told the waiter it was the best soup I've ever had (it was actually really good) - maybe I'm just starved for someone to talk to? He probably didn't even understand what I told him...

I think I'll be staying here at least one other night... I don't know what I'll do tomorrow... maybe I'll go find some people climbing to take pictures of... or go swimming in the sea... or just enjoy it here...


All day today I was feeling really homesick... I feel like I shouldn't be in this place alone... It's too beautiful to enjoy by myself. It's really quite breathtaking...

Railay west


burnt from all the boats today...


These pictures really don't do it justice




No comments: