Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I love free internet!

Honestly, free internet is like the best thing a hotel can give me... okay... maybe not - I'd really rather not sleep with a rat again... or share a tiny bed with Ryan again... but free internet is pretty sweet!

So we made it to Fukuoka today. It was a pretty long day I have to say.

We ended up going out to the 'club' yesterday after all. It was pretty awesome once we realized that we're both really dumb and that the lobby wasn't the main room. It was the strangest venue I've ever been in. Think something like Palais Royale mixed with an actual concert hall... It was really nice. There were two rooms playing somewhat different flavours of techno. Both had surprisingly good sound (not too loud - you could hold a conversation and didn't need earplugs), wood floors, no smoking or drinking so they were clean. It was really impressive. The main room (the hall) was where Sven Vath was playing, Tiefschwarz (I'd seen them before at Boa in Toronto) was playing downstairs. When we realized that we were silly and that there were rooms other than the lobby / drinking area we started getting scared that we'd missed Tiefschwarz but then quickly realized he was playing a 4 hour set. The music itself was pretty good - nothing mind blowing but definitely solid. Only problem was that it was kind of expensive and far from our hotel. I couldn't keep my eyes open come 4:30am and so we ended up leaving and sitting outside for a bit waiting for the metro to start running again. In our state of exhaustion we made our way to the fish market which luckily was closed today! It was a pretty good night and definitely different that other clubbing experiences I've had. I'd like to check out an actual club when we get back to Tokyo in a couple of weeks.

Here are a few pictures from Tokyo....
If only I had the guts to take this from in front...


So many bikes everywhere! It reminds me of Amsterdam but they don't try to run you over with their bikes! Also, they use some weird wheel locks which seem like a really cool idea. Up until we went walking in the park on Sunday I hadn't actually seen any decent bikes - most of the ones you see are like these.


The man in the bar...


And this is right as he notices me...

(notice, I'm pretty far away here...)

SO MANY PEOPLE!


In front of Senso-Ji temple


this smoke is said to bestow health and according to a man "smoke make healthy, happy"

I started trying to get some of it on me and the man came back over to me and said "GOOD GOOD! You do it good!"

Reading my fortune. I got a regular fortune. It sounded pretty good to me.


Ryan got the bad fortune and hung it up on this thingy... this was a little confusing and required us asking someone which one of us should hang up our fortunes... (I half wonder if people are amused or irritated by our questions).


Weird lunch... is it pancake? vegetable? noodle? fish? pork? probably all of the above!


We went to Yoyogi-Koen on Sunday to see what was going on... and this is what we found:










These two aren't quite sure what to think about what's going on...


I couldn't stop laughing... is this for real??


These gangs of Rockabillly guys were DANCING on the street to music. It was so surreal.




We walked over to Roppongi and got lost in some of the side streets. We haven't been up the Tokyo tower yet but I kind of want to go.


No comments: