Saturday, March 14, 2009

looking for green

Finally a somewhat spring-like day... the thaw has begun and last week's endless rain has finally stopped. Everything is a nice shade of mud brown.

It's fantastic. Actually, I don't mind. The air is somewhat fresh (as fresh as Toronto air gets I suppose) and still has enough bite that I come home with rosy cheeks. I could go for that nice spring mud smell but I'll settle for just having a cloudless warm-ish day.

I'm avoiding doing my Japanese homework. I just realized that the prof assigned us quite a bit of work for the last class (in addition to our presentation.) I'll get it done... eventually.

And so here are some pictures taken in the last 7 days:

Last weekend's endless rain
bokeh

Today's walk
alto


kensington contrasts
[in colour perhaps?]

kensington

cooks
as usual, I've posted more pictures on flickr if you are interested.

I started trying to push myself to get in closer today... and of course I found it really hard. I tried channeling my inner foreigner [I mean, trying to act like I did when I was traveling] but it wasn't really working. I'm always afraid someone's going to yell at me or chase me down to try to break my camera (I'm not sure where I get these crazy ideas from?) How is it that I felt fine with taking super-close-up pictures of people when I was traveling?! I don't know, it just doesn't sit right when I try to do it here.
I know I keep saying this but I really love this new lens - haven't taken it off the camera yet and haven't really felt limited by it either. I guess I've been trying pretty specific things lately though. I haven't had any issues with it and it has been consistently giving me good results - I can only blame myself for my crappy pictures!


I woke up this morning thinking about how a year ago today I left my old job. It feels so far away... and I have to say I could never imagine myself going back there. I now realize how miserable working there was making me. My current job is insanely better than my old one. It's annoying to think that I allowed myself to get stuck there for so long... but at least I'm out now. Best decision I have ever made. [really!]


I leave for Paris in 5 days... I wonder if my camera-shyness will apply in Europe or not? My guess is that it probably will but we'll have to wait and see... I'll try my hardest... REALLY.

No comments: