Thursday, April 30, 2009

5.10-

I tried a 5.10- last night. It wasn't particularly hard and if I had better endurance I'm sure I could've on-sighted it. I made it though - after stopping about 2/3s up and then again near the top. It felt good to realize that I'm almost back at where I was before. My fingers hurt today. I've been having problems with my thumb ever since the rubik's cube incident in December...

I also witnessed someone 'drop' their climbing partner a good 15 feet of free fall before realizing what was about to happen. It was pretty horrible and I think the girl who had been belaying was right to say "let's just go sit for a bit" after that climb. Wow. Come on people! If you have someone 30-feet above you and you're belaying them PAY ATTENTION!

I realized last night as I sat at the top of the 5.10-, 3 moves from the top waiting for the guy lead climbing next to me to pass that my fear of heights is completely gone. I think it comes and goes - the less I climb, the more anxious I feel at the tops of climbs... the more I climb, the more I trust the rope and my belayer.

I really trust the people I climb with. Don't worry Mom & Dad - I don't think any of them would ever drop me. And my friend Earl who we've been climbing with is a paramedic anyway. ;)

edit: I got pooped on by a bird this morning. I hear that's good luck.

No comments: