Sunday, April 26, 2009

the weekend: photography, food, books

I spent most of this morning reading a book I received for my birthday - Photography: A very short introduction.

It's actually a really interesting read.

Reading about the history of photography has made me question why photography wasn't covered in my inter-disciplinary fine arts course in University. [This was a required course for all Fine Arts students.] We covered painting, sculpture, dance, music, architecture and film... but photography was completely omitted from the course.

To me this seems like a pretty big oversight. It could be that my University didn't have a strong photography prof? That could have been the case. I'd be highly surprised though - we had a very strong Fine Arts program... I'm pretty sure there were photography courses too... And so I really can't help but wonder why it wasn't a topic in the class? Could it be that they didn't regard this medium as having made a significant contribution to the rest of the art world? [I think the whole question about the course I took stems from photography not being recognized as an art form for a long time - most people thinking of photographers as people who push a button and the camera doing all the work.]

I should check to see if they've since revised the course outline for that course...
________________

And with this morning's reading in mind, my pictures today will be more from the vernacular genre than anything.

With the first signs of summer Ryan and I went out yesterday and spent most of the day walking around downtown, enjoying the sun. I took my wide-angle zoom with me - I really haven't been using much else than my 50mm lately! - and was quickly reminded of how much I love wide angle shots. We walked around and found various foods as we walked and had to try them all...

Wanda's Pie in the Sky
Wanda's Pie in the Sky in Kensington - amazing quiche! Better than the quiche I had in Paris and an amazing salad too (raspberry dressing with strawberries, avocado, walnuts, sprouts, peppers... mmmmm)

tiny little cupcake
Ryan really wanted a miniature cupcake - I think it made him feel like a giant.

poutine
Poutine from Craft Burger - *drools* I love craft burger.

No comments: