Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Camera Control

Why didn't someone tell me about this sooner? [oh wait, they did. I just didn't process the information until a month or so later...]

I finally installed Nikon's Camera Control on my laptop and tried it with my camera. Interesting...

It's pretty cool that you can control most of the camera settings remotely through the computer or you can just take pictures while plugged in and have them display right away on screen. I haven't played around with it too much - it looks pretty straight-forward but I wonder whether or not it can do what I would like it to do... I'm going to have to investigate some more...

I'm also wondering how useful a tool this would be... I think I can see myself mainly using it for HDR shots... I guess I could use it for time lapse or night sky shots too (not a huge fan of either of those... a time lapse might be interesting? maybe?) I can do pretty much everything else with my little remote. And even with HDR shots unless I'm at home am I really going to want to be standing on the street with my laptop, camera and tripod in hand?

I guess I could just take pictures of my ear while I sit at my computer.


Yep, I'm officially bored.

3 comments:

solomon said...

Hmm ear pictures are a good start (unless you're Picasso).

My first thought would have been to hook this up to a motion sensor and get pictures of everything that moves, like a security camera... or maybe it could be its OWN motion sensor, with a little custom coding.
How programmable is it? If there's an API you could probably access some of the camera's more interesting functions and then write a script to maybe take timed pictures of... something? Like a time-lapse series out the window... unless that would be boring. You could do sunrises or something, and use the program to get the EXACT time of sunrise each day.

I guess there's no motorized mounting base that would let you control where the camera is pointing (or IS there???).

How programmable is the camera itself? I've heard that Cannons are maleable to the point that people have written very simple Tetris-like games and ran them off memory sticks. They can probably do other stuff, but I mean, TETRIS!!! why bother with anything else? :P

sol (whose camera does not play games) said...

I found it (a hacked Canon camera that can play tetris):
http://developsoftware.blogspot.com/2008/04/hacked-canon-powershot-a95.html

All thanks to CHDK.

monique said...

lol! oh solomon! lol....

and that's on a p&s too!

I don't think it would be that hard to do something similar to my camera. [As much as I may like Tetris, I'm not about to mess with my camera.] I could go for a simplified version of camera control for my DS though... maybe with time-lapse auto-bracketing for the D40! [boourns... I realized last night that camera control does not do time-lapse auto-bracketing for the d40!! That makes it kind of ... useless for what I'm trying to do. I don't understand why it's not supported for the D40 yet... need to look into that.]

That would be awesome though - having remote control through a DS. With a the touchscreen!? ahhhhh! I may just try it!