Wednesday, April 22, 2009

this isn't about photography

I went climbing tonight. I've been trying to go on a weekly basis lately. I miss it and I hate that the time I took off last year made my climbing deteriorate so much.

There was a slight sense of relief today when I finally red-pointed a 5.9. *sigh* It's been really slow getting back to this point. 5.7s and 5.8s have been no problem but the 5.9s were just killing my fingers. I can feel the 5.10s are getting closer finally too...

Apparently some of my friends that I've known for years used to climb so my getting back into it has sparked their interest and we've been climbing together.

Anyway, as I was there I was reminded of this little bouldering gym I went to when I was in Tokyo. I really liked that gym. It was tiny but full of people and had all kinds of bouldering problems. The people who worked there didn't speak a word of English but were really trying to help, trying to explain how the problems worked. I want to go back. If I make it to Japan at the end of the year, I plan on definitely going to a climbing gym. I actually still have the membership card for this one so I could potentially go back to this place (I also remember where it was and how to get there.) I have a few random business cards from places I went to in Japan in my wallet - odd, I never take business cards... let alone keep them... but for some reason it made sense when I was there and for some reason I now refuse to take them out of my wallet!

Back to the 5.9s... Story of my life right now. Come on, you can get better so much faster, you just need to try a little harder. Stop being so lazy about everything. I keep thinking that if I actually tried a little harder I could make some serious progress on a lot of stuff. But that sounds like work and I'm just not convinced that it's worth it... I'll get back to trying eventually... I'll get bored of this I'm sure...

No comments: