Sunday, April 19, 2009

Express yourself - TPMG

I finally forced myself to try a TPMG event (after lurking on their site for probably about a year now!)

Anyway. We did a challenge called "express yourself". Everyone was split into groups of 4 or 5 and given a list of 10 emotions that we have to capture. Group members had to be models in the photos. Some of the emotions had requirements such as "with prop" or "with X background".

This whole thing of making expressions on demand is not my thing - it usually turns into me laughing uncontrollably. Luckily 2 other members of my group seemed a little more serious about being models which worked out well. [There are pictures of me doing silly things too... unfortunately, they are on other people's cameras and may now be used against me.]

Here are the top 3 [i think?] pictures that I took:

Disgust
Express Yourself - TPMG

worry [not sure i get the emotion here...]
Express Yourself - TPMG

wonder
Express Yourself - TPMG


This event showed me one big thing - if you ask people if it's okay to take pictures, it's surprising what you'll get out of it. The Wonder picture was taken at BCE place where Katharine Harvey (artist who did the Waterfall at Nuit Blanche 2008) was setting up a chandelier made of recycled materials. We asked if we could maybe get one of our people in the middle and then could take pictures - they surprisingly agreed. Another instance involved an electric bike shop which was willing to wheel out bikes for us to use as props in some of our pictures. We stopped some random people to ask if we could take pictures of their dogs, everyone we asked were surprisingly very willing.

I can't wait to see what everyone else did with their pictures - I think it'll be interesting to see what everyone else 'saw' when they were taking the shots.

On a very unrelated side note: my floor hockey team won 3rd place in the finals on Friday. Pretty crazy! The last game was insanely close - going into overtime with a score of 9-9. We had 3 minutes of sudden death overtime and the players on the floor during the remaining minute would be in the shoot-out if no one scored. Luckily we scored within the first 2 minutes of overtime. It was pretty crazy.

No comments: