Saturday, May 17, 2008

Back in Hong Kong

It's strange being back in Hong Kong. It seems like coming back here after Thailand and Japan is giving me a whole different experience.

There almost seems to be a feeling of being back home - I don't feel out of place, I don't feel like people are looking at me like I'm an outsider. Coming from Japan, this really feels quite strange.

We booked our last few days at the same hotel where I started - it was clean, had some cool little perks (it's the techhotel where you can control everything in your room through your tv.) When we got here yesterday afternoon the guy working at the front desk recognized me which really surprised me. Our room was bigger than I expected and Ryan seemed pretty happy with it (he compared it to our hotel we stayed at in Marseille - this is a good thing)

We tried going out last night to Yumla but the music was pretty lame so we ended up just walking back home.

Ryan really wants to go to Macau.... Maybe tomorrow? I guess we'll see.

I have to say that going back to using a regular keyboard is very strange. I keep reaching for the "[" key when I want an "@", or the "7" key when I want an "'". It's funny how quickly I got used to the Japanese keyboards. Yesterday we went to some computer stores and Ryan quickly understood exactly why I had been drooling over the Asus eee PC. In fact, I was quickly drooling over them too. It just so happens that since I was last here, they released a 9" monitor version of it... which of course means that the 7" monitor version has dropped in price (oh goodness $350 for a tiny laptop that can fit in your pants?!) We were both pretty tempted (I, of course, by the new 9" monitor which is a bad thing! - the new one is about $600). We're both pretty much decided on picking one (or two) up eventually - when we have money again.

I could really go for a british style breakfast right about now. When I was last here, I found a macrobiotic place that served something like a british breakfast (really, I think it was more American than British and the restaurant was run by some Australians)... Bring on the eggs, sausage, beans and fried tomatoes...

No comments: