Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hong Kong Revisited

On our first day in Hong Kong we walked from our hotel to the Star Ferry and then headed toward Mongkok on foot. It just so happened to be Saturday so Mongkok was pretty crazy and I got lost looking for the computer store I wanted to show Ryan.


Ryan was really surprised at the state of a lot of the buildings - Chungking Mansions anyone?


On the Sunday we made the mistake of going to Lantau Island... ungh... I've never waited in line for so long for something so underwhelming before. We must've been in line for a good 2 hours to get on this thing:


People fishing below us:


Someone's getting tired of being in my pictures (if you don't want to be in the pictures get out of the frame!)


After a long and annoying afternoon of waiting to get on the cable car we decided to the Peak Tram (yet another line-up! Yay!). At least this lineup was quick.


And totally worth it for the view:




Sunday in Hong Kong means all the women are out having fun with their friends. I think most of these women are from the Philippines but I'm not absolutely sure. It's quite a strange phenomenon that I noticed the first time I was in Hong Kong. At some points we were walking down a packed street and were surrounded by about 95% women. They seem to meet early in the day and sit around in large groups wherever they can find a covered spot (under overpasses, near buildings, that kind of thing), eating, singing, dancing and laughing for the entire day. This picture was taken at about 8:30 at night and they didn't seem to be packing up just yet.


Hong Kong has some pretty amazing buildings...


My favorite market street (Graham Street) - taken yesterday morning




Our last temple - Man Mo Temple


Incense Coils


No comments: